Located just 45 minutes from Slovenia’s Capital City Ljubljana is Lake Bled Slovenia. Probably one of the most picturesque places you will ever see – everywhere you look around the lake looks like a whimsical storybook setting. Nominated as one of the Seven New Wonders of the World it is easy to get lost in the beauty of Lake Bled. During our ‘4 day weekend’ getaway we decided to spend a day exploring the lake & ended up rowing out to Bled Island & then biking around! Read on for all there is to do at the Lake:
- Jump on the traditional wooden boat called a Pletna and be rowed over to the island for €12RT pp with a 30 minute break to wander around the island. These boats are located on the west side of the lake and the wait isn’t very long as the boats are constantly going back and forth. You can visit this page to find more information about these boats and the materials that they are made up of.
- Rent your own row boat for €15 an hour to row out by yourself! We chose to rent our own boat because I wanted to have our very own Notebook moment. Rowing out the island only took Chad 20 minutes & then we explored the island for about an hour, rowed back and still only paid for an hour rental! Definitely a memorable experience if you are on the fence about which one to do!
- Bike around the lake! Plan to bring your bikes, or rent them from a local shop or your hotel! We rented ours from the place we were staying (Garden Village).
- Hike the Ojstrica Viewpoint to get breathtaking views. Read more about the hike here.
- Visit Slovenias oldest castle on the hill for a tour or even make reservations to enjoy a meal. Find out more info here about Bled Castle.
On the Island
- After arriving on the island – climb 99 beautiful stone steps to reach the Assumption of Mary church where you can ring the bell for good luck & then climb the bell tower to watch the bell ring every 15 minutes. Entrance tickets to the church and bell tower are a small fee – a family ticket is €12.
- Walk around the island to get amazing views & keep an eye on the water for some giant fish! (Bring some stale bread to toss to them! – kid tip!)
- Visit the small cafe right outside the church that serves, coffee, cream cake & gelato. Service is amazing and it’s a great idea to have a snack before rowing back to town!
Amazing right? Definitely worth the trip to see this amazing island! If you are on the fence, JUST GO! You can read more about our Slovenia trips here, PIN this to save it & check out our travel videos on YOUTUBE.
XO Happy Exploring!